- Richard Harland's “The Fear” is being reprinted in Ellen Datlow's Year's Best, with 7 others making the honourable mentions list:
- “Monsters Among Us” by Kirstyn McDermott
- “Erina Hearn and the Gods of Death” by Kyla Ward
- “Here Be Monsters” by Susan Wardle
- “Sweet as Decay” by David Witteveen and David Conyers
- “Hive” by Stephen M. Irwin
- “Feast or Famine” by Gary Kemble
- “Take the Free Tour” by Bob Franklin
- Kirstyn's “Monsters Among Us” has also been nominated for a Bram Stoker Award in the Superior Achievement in Short Fiction category
- Andrew J McKiernan's “All the Clowns of Clowntown” has been shortlisted for an Australian Shadows Award in the Best Short Story category
So raise a glass with me folks, and congratulate them all.
Editing Macabre was a huge learning curve for me, one filled with many ups and downs, long, long hours spent researching old magazines and newspapers (old as in 1830s etc), and reading lots and lots of stories (and I mean lots and lots!). But through it all, through all the trials and tribulations, our contributors remained professional, patient, and just damn awesome to work with. They never gave up hope in seeing Macabre published.
So here is a belated Thank You everyone for sticking with it and putting up with my often inane emails. As someone once said, youse guys rock.
The brick--er, book, is just great as a door stop once you've finished reading it, too.
And would I do it again? Hell yeah!
(but just don't tell my wife I said that)