Saturday, July 21, 2007

The Call of the Hammer...

Well, it's been a wild time of late - brought a house and am off to Malaysia on Monday for fieldwork...
Woosh!
Did you see that? No? That was me, wizzing past - at least that's how it's felt of late.
Buying a house is an exciting experience. It's also stressful, mad, chaotic, and involved! Especially when the settlement is only 6 weeks! And even more especially when your - well, no, I'd best not start complaining here about who didn't do what they were paid to do... Let's just say, my phone bill was in the hundreds, my work output dropped dramatically, and scotch never tasted so good....

Our brand-spanking new house from the paddock...

But it all worked out in the end (only just!), and now we have a house. A you beaut, brand new, modern as heck house, 4 bedrooms and a double garage. Got just under 4 acres, too, of flat green land. The horses are loving it ('cept they're getting a bit, er, large...). My wife is loving it (she had the biggest smile upon her beautiful face). I'm loving it too.
I'm even loving the hour and a half+ ride to work and home again each day (no, seriously, I am, hear me out), cos I sit on the train with my headphones on, listening to Marilyn Manson, Dimmu Borgir, Rob Zombie, Rammstein, Slip Knot, Cradle of Filth, etc, and write.
And it's been bloody brilliant. I've done so much work on my novel this past week, it's such a great feeling. The effort is so focused; I can't go anywhere, can't really do much else- I feel like my writing has been solid, and I feel like I'm really getting somewhere.
And now, not 2 weeks after we moved, I have to head off to Malaysia (Kuala Lumpur and then Miri) for 2 weeks fieldwork. Collecting rock samples from core sheds this time, so no hiking through jungles for me (which is good, and bad, but mostly good). Instead, the company I'm working for are putting me up at a 5-star spa and resort....
Sigh... It's going to be such hard work :)
However shall I cope?

0 comments: