Saturday, July 28, 2007

Why writing horror isn't fun...

My Malaysian taxi driver is starting to freak me out.

I've spent 4 days in his company now, with Mr. K--g picking me up in the morning from the hotel and dropping me off at the S---l offices, then doing the opposite at the end of the day. Which is all good. He's promt, reliable and the fare never changes.

Excellent.

But then yesterday, on the ride home, I was staring out the window at this wacky world in which I've found myself when, from the corner of my eye, I saw Mr. K--g's hand moving towards the centre console. I think it was the way it was moving that caught my attention. So I kept watching, pretending I wasn't. Slowly, he picked up a pen, hid it in his hand and then just as slowly moved is hand back to the steering wheel.

Hmm, said I.

Mr. K--g then swaped the pen to his other hand, doing it like he was trying to hide doing it. Then he droped his arm to his side and hid the pen under his outside leg.

All of which I found quite intriguing...

The ride went on. Only, every now and then, I could see him gripping the pen like he might a knife. Lifting his hand slowly, like he was getting ready. Every time I looked across, he hid the pen under his leg again.

Okay, not so cool now; by this stage, my paranoia had woken up and was bitching about being away from home, taken to a place where I had no idea how anything worked, what people were saying or what I was eating...

I wanted my wifey.

I've seen Hostel, I know what happens to foreigners; I'm going to end up in a huge warehoue in the slums somewhere with Stinking Stan paying to have his way with me...

See? It's just not fun being a horror writer. Why couldn't I write romantic stories?? Maybe then Mr. K--g and I would develop an illicit love affair, only for me to break his heart when I returned to Australia...

Damn this muse of mine.....

3 comments:

Brian G Ross said...

I found myself smilin' at that post, Marty, though I'm not really sure I should have been. Pretty scary stuff...

Hope you reach the Aussie shores safely again.

:o)

Sheena said...

Have you gone through the beach road at night? That's something you might not want to do in the company of your "pen-fiddling" driver.

Anonymous said...

So I guess Marty is in a bathtub somewhere? Missing a kidney? :)

cheers Peter van Maale